Fri 13 Jan 2012
Friends, reader(s) and people who tolerate my rantings from time to time …
If you know anything about me, you’ll know that for better or worse, I’ve had my fair share of jobs. Trust me, it’s nothing I’ve ever wanted to be known for, but it’s an unfortunate truth borne out of a bad economy, bad choices or the dreaded “bad fit.”
So what the hell does all of this have to do with my headline?
My ability to feed my family and/or avoid crashing on one of your couches for any extended period of time is almost entirely due to social media engagement and networking … with a dash of reasonable skill in the areas of marketing strategy, social media engagement & content creation. And thus … the tie in to my headline.
Social Media Club PDX is bringing Social Stallion Joshua Waldman to town to show you how to discover those hidden job nuggets using social media tools and ways to pay it forward in true “You-Tweet-my-Back, I’ll-Tweet-Yours” fashion. Here’s the title and some eloquent prose from my social chum @unclenate, Prez of @SocialMediaPDX:
“For anyone looking for a first job, exploring a career change, or just setting up for future success, social media is a proven platform for facilitating connections, demonstrating passions and interests, and ultimately landing the job. Joshua Waldman, author of “Job Searching with Social Media For Dummies” enables you to harness the power of the Internet to research and identify job opportunities, and create a strategy for securing a position.”
Other nuggets include:
- creating effective online profiles and resumes to sell your strengths
- maintaining your online reputation (and ensuring that employers who Google you like what they find)
- understanding electronic etiquette
- using the power of personal branding
- building your brand online
- avoiding common pitfalls, such as jumping into filling out a social media profile without a strategy
- getting to know Twitter, the only real-time job board with literally thousands of jobs posted daily
- using social media sites to uncover opportunities in the “hidden job market” ahead of the competition
This is your chance to meet some really cool and connected people as well as escape the job or the people you hate — for three whole hours! Just sign up already!
January 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM | $25 Online, $45 @Door | Limit: 100
322 NW 6th Ave
Portland, OR 97209